We love our Perth summers, but they can pretty quickly warm up your home, putting extra demand on your air conditioner. The most cost-effective and efficient solution to reduce your household energy bills in both summer and winter is solar window film!
What is Solar Window Film?
Solar window film is a thin, transparent multi-layered coating which is commonly installed to the interior or exterior of glass surfaces in properties or vehicles. It is designed to reduce light, heat, glare and UV rays from passing through glass windows.
How Does Solar Window Film Work?
Solar window film works by reflecting a percentage of the sun’s solar, infra-red and ultraviolet rays away from the glass surface, thereby preventing the transfer of excessive heat from outside to inside. Some window films also work by increasing the absorption of the solar energy at the glass, to reduce the direct transmission of the energy through the glass into the room.
3M has a near-invisible (75% VLT), low-e insulating window film range, the Thinsulate Climate Control series, which can provide dual benefits for all-year-round comfort. This extraordinary film has solar film characteristics that can reject heat during summer, but also act as an insulator to help reduce heat loss during winter. 3M Thinsulate can provide you with all year round comfort by reducing radiant heat transfer in either direction.
If you are considering installing low-e glass in your property, consider the 3M Thinsulate as an alternative option. It will deliver the same heat retention benefits in winter, but will outperform low-e glass in summer – rejecting up to 60% of solar heat energy (Thinsulate CC40). It even comes with 3M’s unbeatable lifetime residential warranty that you won’t get with low-e glass.
What Are the Three Types of Sun Rays?
The sun emits rays in 3 primary forms – visible light, ultraviolet radiation and infra-red rays. Solar window film is the best option to address all three forms of damaging rays from the time.
All 3M window films, whether clear or tinted, stop a minimum of 99% of UV radiation, with the 3M Prestige series stopping 99.9%. Traditional metal-based solar films, such as the 3M Night Vision and 3M P18 Silver ranges are very effective at stopping solar energy heat – rejecting up to 77% of rays, but the metal-based films don’t assist against infra-red heat rays.
What is Infra-Red Heat?
Infra-red heat is best described as the heat you feel when you are shaded from the sun. It is the heat that reflects off or radiates through hard surfaces such as paving, walls or roof structures, and is the heat you still feel long after the sun has set.
Only the newer technology films, such as the 3M Prestige and 3M Ceramic ranges, both non-metallic films, have extra properties that make them effective against infra-red heat. In fact, the 3M Prestige is the highest performing solar film, due to its ability to reject a huge 97% of infra-red heat energy. The film also helps to keep your home’s temperature consistent, reducing temperature variations caused by sunny and shaded areas. All of this means there is less demand on your air conditioner, dramatically reducing your bills in summer.
What Are the Benefits of Solar Window Film?
- Energy Efficient – By preventing excessive heat build-up in summer, solar window film significantly lowers your cooling bills and cuts down greenhouse gas emissions. Insulating window films will lower both your cooling and heating bills year-round for even better energy efficiency.
- UV Protection – Modern window films reject up to 99.9% of UV radiation, protecting furnishings, wallpaper and paintwork from fading, and your loved ones from harmful UV radiation.
- Glare – Excessive glare can make it difficult to focus on highly reflective objects and is a leading cause of eye strain. Darker solar films are very effective at reducing glare from pools, water views or other highly reflective objects, and can enhance viewing of screens of multiple devices in your home.
- Maintaining Natural Light/Views – Modern, metal-free window films are able to reject high levels of heat without sacrificing natural light, and have very high levels of optical clarity to maintain your beautiful views.
- Daytime Privacy – Solar films can provide excellent day time privacy – making it difficult for others to see your family or belongings through your windows during the day.
How Long Does Solar Window Film Last?
Solar window film has an expected lifespan of at least 10 to 15 years if well maintained and cleaned in accordance with manufacturer instructions. However, 3M, the world’s leading solar film manufacturer, offers a LIFETIME warranty for residential installs for the purchasing homeowner. If your solar window film was to ever fail, peel, delaminate or discolour, even 25 years after initial installation, the cost of removal and replacement with a new product is covered by 3M.
3M window film is a fantastic way to improve your property’s energy rating. With a film solution to any need, whether you wish to retain natural light, improve day time privacy, reduce glare, reject all forms of heat, improve safety or security, or preventing the fading of floors of soft furnishings caused by UV rays, 3M and Complete Film Solutions have you covered. 3M’s window film series consists of 4 primary ranges:
- Solar only window film.
- Clear security window film.
- Dual benefit combined solar and security window film (great for the peace of mind offered by 3M’s Ultra Clear Security Film range, combined with the unparalleled heat rejection, privacy, and aesthetics of the tinted options from the 3M Night Vision or 3M Prestige ranges).
- Dual benefit Thinsulate, low-e insulating film for all year round benefits – heat retention in winter and heat rejection in summer.
Speak to one of our friendly experts about the different window film options for your home. We are happy to provide a free measure and quote and offer advice on the best solution for your Perth home.
Showing all 8 results